Dry, Itchy Penis: What’s Causing It and How to Deal
Nothing says sexy like a guy furiously itching his junk. Sure, penile itching is crazy embarrassing, but what’s worse is that scratching only makes things worse. To ditch the itch, a man needs to find out what is causing his dry, itchy penis. There are lots of things that can make a penis feel like a scratchy Sahara, and thankfully, many of them are pretty easy to clear up. Let’s talk about dry penis skin causes and how to get rid of it and prevent it in the future.
Dry, Itchy Penis Cause #1: Contact Dermatitis
Contact dermatitis is a fancy name for an allergic reaction. This can be caused by anything that touches the penis skin, from a new fabric softener to a body wash or even a new lover’s lotion. Usually, a genital rash and tiny red bumps will also show up.
Dry, Itchy Penis Cause #2: Ingrown Hair and Folliculitis
An ingrown hair can turn into a painful blister that is itchy and inflamed. Folliculitis is a condition in which the hair follicles are inflamed.
Dry, Itchy Penis Cause #3: Male Yeast Infection
Also known as candidiasis, a man may experience a wicked bad itch, redness, a cottage-cheesy discharge, and burning with this type of infection.
Dry, Itchy Penis Cause #4: Balanitis
Balanitis is an inflammation of the glans of the penis. Other indicators include painful urination, swelling, soreness, and redness.
Dry, Itchy Penis Cause #5: Jock Itch
This is a highly contagious fungal infection on and around the penis.
Dry, Itchy Penis Cause #6: Urethritis
Urethritis is the inflammation of the urethra, which is the magical tube that, among other things, moves urine from the bladder to the outside world. Other signs of this condition include frequent urination, difficulty urinating, and blood in the semen.
Dry, Itchy Penis Cause #7: Psoriasis and Eczema
Both are chronic skin conditions that affect the entire body, including the penis. Psoriasis makes skin cells develop too quickly, so they amass on the skin, which leads to itchy, red, scaly patches of skin. Eczema is a condition in which the skin reacts to an allergen.
Dry, Itchy Penis Cause #8: Genital Warts
These bad boys are caused by human papillomavirus (HPV), which is a sexually transmitted disease. They look like mini heads of cauliflower, are flesh-colored, and usually itch, and can sometimes bleed when a man is doing the wild thing. See a doctor or head to a clinic for testing.
Home Remedies for Dry, Itchy Penis Skin
– While scratching feels like the most fantastic thing in the world as it’s happening, it’s only a temporary thing (and it usually makes the situation worse). Rather than a scratch, try one of these home remedies for calming inflammation and ditching the itching:
– Colloidal oatmeal bath – Oatmeal is not just for breakfast! Oatmeal is an excellent anti-inflammatory and itch fighter. Put the oatmeal grounds in a warm bath. Be sure to use the colloidal kind and not the peaches and cream instant stuff you ate for breakfast as a kid.
– Cold compress – Apply a cold, wet cloth to your junk for 5 to 10 minutes. You can also wrap an ice pack in a dish towel and apply it to the area as well if you’d rather not get wet.
– Apple cider vinegar – Only use this remedy if the skin is NOT cracked or wounded. Take 1 part ACV and 1 part water and mix. Apply the solution to the affected area. Rinse once dry.
– Baking soda bath – Noticing a theme? Add a cup of baking soda to a lukewarm bath and chill out for at least 15 minutes. Rinse off when done.
– Over-the-counter medications, the type to use depending on the cause – Some options include steroid creams, hydrocortisone, antibiotics, antihistamines, and antifungal medication.
How to Prevent a Dry, Itchy Penis
There are lots of ways a man can prevent dry penis skin. Here are 5 things every man should do to preserve penile skin health:
1) Always do a patch test new products like laundry detergent, cologne, body washes, and anything else that touches the body.
2) Wear loose-fitting underwear – tight undies can lead to friction and rash.
3) Take a shower or bath daily to remove dead skin cells, dirt, and bacteria. Be sure to be thorough with both cleansing and rinsing. If a man doesn’t rinse off well, body wash or soap that’s left behind can cause dryness and irritation.
4) Completely dry off after showering, as moisture attracts bacteria and yeast, especially in the nether region.
5) Use a specially formulated penis health oil ( health professionals recommend Man 1 Man Oil , which has been clinically proven safe and mild for skin ) to keep dry, itchy penis skin at bay. With natural softeners like shea butter and vitamin E, skin stays soft and supple. Vitamins A and C offer bacterial protection and collagen stimulation to improve penile health. This oil is an extra step that keeps a man’s member in top form.